I worked in the film and magazine industries in my twenties before following the sun and living abroad for over ten years. During that time, I ran writing groups, retreats and workshops and when I moved back to the UK, I offered exactly the same thing online.
However, my real dream was to become a children’s author and after committing all out to this vision, I am delighted to say my debut middle-grade book, THE LAST BEAR came out February 2021 and was published in the UK and the US by HarperCollins.
I live in Lincolnshire with my tortoise, my cat and my husband. But the most important thing to know about me is I believe in magic.
And Here Are The Juicy Bits!
- I believe yellow flowers are lucky omens because I once read it in a book.
- My favourite books growing up were THE LION, THE WITCH AND THE WARDROBE and THE MAGIC FARAWAY TREE.
- I still dream of the Land of Do As You Please.
- My favourite contemporary authors are Michael Morpurgo and Katherine Rundell.
- I admit I mostly read children’s books.
- When I read adult books, anything goes although I’m not really a fan of anything too dark.
- I love swimming in the sea, pistachio ice-cream and the smell of summer.
- My ideal life consists of animal conservation and having a hammock.
- I see myself as a work in progress and am fascinated by how far we can go when we lift the limits we place upon ourselves.
- I credit my mentors and coaches to getting me to where I am today and the place I will be tomorrow.
- I want to use my books to make the world a happier, healthier place for humans and animals.
- I constantly dream big even if I sometimes think these dreams are a bit scary.
- My heroes and heroines are Sir David Attenborough, Greta Thunberg, the Queen, my mum, the man in Brazil who is best mates with a penguin and anyone who strives to be the best version of themselves.
- And finally, I have to mention my husband otherwise he gets a bit left out. But he really is the best.
It’s Not Just About Me – It’s About You Too!
- You’re afraid your book isn’t good enough or that you’re not current, funny, young, beautiful, wise, intelligent, educated enough.
- You want to get an agent and a publishing deal but you suspect those kind of riches are for other authors, not the likes of you.
- You’ve had your confidence knocked and wonder if you have it within you to keep going.
- You used to dream big but you’ve downscaled your dreams to make them more “realistic”.
- You want to be a force for good, you want to write stories and make people happy but you’re scared no-one is going to want to listen to you.
But most of all, you’re passionate, committed, full of integrity, you care about other people, inequality, the environment and what you really, really want is to BE a writer.
And That’s Where I Come In
I don’t teach in an analytic, rigid left-brain way – I’m all about manifestation, connecting with heart energy, creative mess, right-brain thinking, mining your deepest emotions and finding your voice.
My mentoring and workshops are currently for adults only. In future, I plan to offer creative classes for children and will let you know when this happens.
I don’t pretend to sit here and offer the solution to your everything. That’s why I want to share the details of the coaches and mentors who have helped me. They may be able to help you, they may not. It could be you have your own support system or you sing to a different tune.
Sophie Hannah’s Dream Author Programme
This was a complete game-changer for me and totally revolutionised the way I pictured my writing career and how I perceived myself as a successful writer
Marie offers EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) and energy healings and absolutely helped let go of any “stuff” I had about succeeding.
Sarupa helped me transform my money story (so important for authors!) and regularly runs courses.
Final shout out:
A book which helped me go for my author dreams. And that’s THE BIG LEAP by Gay Hendricks.
Please note there are absolutely no affiliate links to any of the above apart from the book. (And we can call that my coffee and cake fund.) I’m sharing because they’ve helped me and maybe, if it feels right, they can help you too.